Do your part to Keep Canton Clean
PHOTO: Members of the NWNRA clean up their neighborhood as part of the Ban Litter program
Keeping Canton Clean has to be much more than just a slogan. Keeping Canton clean requires a concerted effort on the part of all concerned Canton residents. By taking a moment to keep our city picked up, we can prevent a small problem from getting worse as time goes on.
Litter is not a governmental problem. It is a community problem – one that must be addressed collaboratively. For this reason, we seek assistance from all parts of our community when making Canton a cleaner and more attractive place to live.
Want to lend a hand? Here are some things you can incorporate into your daily regimen that will have a big impact on litter in Canton:
• Properly bag and containerize your trash for collection – improperly bagged garbage can quickly become a neighborhood eyesore after a windy evening.
• Place your trash by the curb no sooner than 6 p.m. the day before collection – any earlier and you increase the risk of spreading garbage during the day.
• See litter or debris on your property? Clean it up right away – don’t wait for it to blow into someone else’s yard.
• Organize neighborhood clean-ups to tidy up the area in which you live.
• Take advantage of the Beautify a Neighborhood (BAN) Litter program offered by the City of Canton. For more information, contact the Public Works Department at (330) 489-3030 or visit www.cantonohio.gov/streets.
• Keep litter bags in your vehicle to hold small bits of trash – they reduce excess litter and are convenient!
• Put cigarette butts out in your ashtray – not out the window.
• Utilize public waste receptacles, ensuring your trash ends up inside the container.
By working together, we can all do our part to Keep Canton Clean!