Mark H. Adams, RS, MPH
City Service Center
2436 30th Street NE
Canton, OH 44705
Sanitation - Rules
The size of trash cans to be lifted by Sanitation Employees is limited to 32 gallons or less. If the can has a lid, it must be a seperate lid and not attached or hinged to the can.
If customers have larger cans that they wish to store full bags in, they can do so, as long as the customer removes the bags from oversized cans and places the bags curbside before pick-up. Cans larger than 32 gallons will not be emptied.
Trash should not be set out at the curb before 6:00 PM the evening before scheduled pick-up.
Please keep in mind that if animals get into trash bags, clean-up is the customer's responsibility.
Trash Service Rules
- Customers must use trash cans that are no larger than 32 gallons.
- Customers must use trash containers with handles and lids that are not hinged or attached.
- Customers may use bags instead of containers (however - if animals get into the bags, it is the resident's responsibility to clean up).
- Customers should make sure that their trash is curbside by 6:00 AM on their scheduled pick-up day. Sanitation employees start work at 6:00 AM.
- Grass clippings, leaves and twigs should be bagged and placed separately from standard garbage at the curb. Bags should not exceed 32 gallons for grass and 45 gallons for leaves.
- Branches and other small brush should be bundled or tied in manageable bundles (maximum 4ft in length) for pickup.
- Live Christmas trees may be placed at the curb for disposal on normal trash day.
- Carpet and rugs are accepted so long as they have been cut into manageable sizes (maximum 4ft long) and are securely tied together.
- Old appliances and water heaters may be placed at the curb for free pickup on normal pickup day. The Sanitation crew will call the address in to the office and the appliance will be picked up by a separate truck (under normal circumstances within 2 working days).
- Customers are only allowed to place two (2) large items per week (i.e. furniture) for pickup.
Trash Service - Prohibited Items
- Construction Material: The Sanitation Department does not collect or haul construction materials during normal pick-up.
Not all materials are accepted. This includes: asphalt, concrete, bricks, roofing material, tree stumps, logs, railroad ties, auto parts, ashes, rocks, dirt, paint, or other hazardous liquids of any time. If you have a question, please call!
- Animal Waste: Animal fecal matter will not be picked up unless placed in a small, sturdy double plastic bag, or wrapped in newspaper and placed in a small, sturdy plastic bag. Cat litter can be placed in coffee cans, sturdy plastic bags, or grocery bags that are placed inside plastic bags.
These "double bagged" packages of animal waste can then be placed in your regular, larger trash bag. Sanitation will not collect animal waste if it is not properly packaged or if the amount is excessive. Persons violating this policy will be reported to the Canton City Health Department. Further inquiries about animal waste can be made by contacting the Canton Health Department at (330) 489-3231
- Auto Tires: Tires will not be picked up, but can be dropped off free of charge (tires only - no rims) at the Schroyer Recycling Drop-off facility located at 742 Schroyer Ave SW, Canton, OH 44707. The center is located between 6th and 9th Street SW on Schroyer. They are open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 10:00 AM till 2:00 PM. To contact the drop-off center, call (330) 430-7869. For more information go to www.cantonhealth.org/eh/?pg=290.
Trash Service - Vacant Structures
The Sanitation Department does not maintain regular pick-up at vacant homes. After the home is vacated, a final pick-up will be made. Another pick-up will be made prior to the occupation of the property. The Sanitation Department has found that regular pick-up at vacant properties results in outsiders fraudulently depositing trash in front of the structure. If the period between the final clean-out and pre-move-in pick-up is greater than two (2) months, the property owner may apply for a waiver of their sanitation charge for that period.