Select language: zh-CNesdefrja

CANTON WATER DEPARTMENT TIME LINE

1869

First steps to establish a water system undertaken. Meyers Lake was the source of water. The water was taken from a stone intake on the east side of the lake, through concrete pipe to the pumping station on Elgin Ave NW.

1873

 A small timber diversion dam was constructed in the West Branch of the Nimishillen Creek south of Fulton Road and a race was constructed to the pumping station.

1890

More land was purchased at Water Works Park on Elgin Ave NW. Twenty-five eight inch and four inch wells were drilled. These wells produced a small yield. A search for a more abundant well supply was undertaken in the West Creek valley from several miles north on the pumping station to Navarre Rd on the south.

1900

The Navarre Road pumping station was constructed, located on the west side of the West Creek between the Pennsylvania RR and Navarre Rd. Water was obtained from seventeen 6 inch wells, pumped by 2 motor driven triplex plunger pumps, each 1.5 MGD capacity.

1902

The survey produced favorable results. A water supply was located in West Creek Valley between 9th   St SW and the Pennsylvania RR. A total of 40, 6 inch wells were drilled and connected to a 30 inch cast iron suction header 4,500 feet long, connecting to the direct suction from the pumping station at Elgin Ave.

1905

The Elgin Ave. pumping station was reconstructed and enlarged. Four new boilers were set, and a 12 million gallon per day Todd vertical triple expansion pumping engine was installed.

1907

The first elevated pressure storage was a 1,000,000 gallon steel standpipe located near the intersection of Rowland and 16th St NE. A 20 inch cast iron main was constructed from the Elgin Ave. pumping station to this storage unit. There is no record of when this storage was removed from service.

1912 to 1917

Several individual auxiliary stations were constructed for pumping individual deep wells and discharging directly into the distribution system. One station at 15th St SW near the West Creek pumped 500 GPM. One located at Spring Ave NE near 14th St, and one at 16th St NE near the Middle Branch Creek, with no pump. Two wells were in Cook Park, one had a shosrt life dut to a small yield, and the other well pump was in service until the last of July, 1937. All of these auxiliary stations have been abandoned.

1917

A small pumping station was built at 9th St SW with two low-lift pumps installed to pump into the suction line of Elgin Ave pumping station to reduce the work of the machinery at the Elgin Ave pumping station.

Prospecting commenced in the valley of the Middle Branch of the Nimishillen Creek northeast of the city. A formation of water-bearing gravel of undetermined extent was discovered on a tract known as the "Dan Smith" farm, containing 73 acres. Eight 6 inch wells were drilled and connected to a suction header. A temporary pumping station was erected with 2 new boilers and an old 3,000,000 gpd pump removed from the Elgin Ave Station. A 12 inch main was connected to the distribution system in Harrisburg Rd NE.

Canton City Council established the first Water Commission to act as an advisory capacity. Their aim was to put Canton’s water supply system on a permanent adequate basis.

1918

The Water Commission’s final recommendation includes 6 main projects; 1. Metering 16,800 customers, completing metering the entire system, 2. Construction of an equalizing reservoir to serve also for emergency reserve, north of 30th St NW, 3. Reinforcement of the distribution system, 4. A Northeast pumping station, wells and basin, 5. Electrical generating plant for operation of northeast station, and 6. Improvements and a basin at the Elgin Ave station. Also recommended was a 20% rate increase, and it was recommended that the revenues of the Water Department should cease being transferred to make up shortages of other city departments.

Twelve new 12 inch wells were drilled in the southwest field. The 30 inch suction line was extended to these wells, and the small wells were abandoned.

1918 to 1921

Eight 12 inch wells were drilled at the Northeast Field. The wells were equipped with horizontal driven centrifugal pumps set in pits, taking suction direct from the wells. A receiving basin with a holding capacity of 1.5 million gallons was constructed to receive water from the well pumps for the purpose of equalizing the flow to the high service pumps.

At the Northeast Field, a high service pumping station was constructed with four 5,000,000 GPD centrifugal pumps.

The 15,000,000 gallon distribution reservoir was constructed, 362 feet by 289 feet and 22 feet deep. 6 inch, 24 inch and 30 inch feeder mains were constructed from the high-service pimping station to the reservoir and to the center of the city, connecting to the existing distribution system.

$1,589,000 bonds were issued to pay for the 1918-1921 improvements, carring 5% and 6% interest, being paid out by 1959.

1919

An 850,000 gallon receiving basin was constructed adjacent to the 9th St SW low lift pumping station. This was used to equalize the flow to the pumping station equipment at the Elgin Ave station.

1919 and 1920

A large-scale metering project was begun. The object was to meter all of the services.

1924

Two high-service centrifugal pumps were installed in the low-lift pumping station at the 9th St SW, and discharged directly into the distribution system.

1924 to 1930

Drillings were made over a considerable area west of Meyers Lake. Fifty-two test wells were drilled over a 9 square mile area. A promising site was discovered approximately 3 miles west of Meyers Lake, north of 12th St extension.

1928

A new well was drilled on the north side of Avondale, 372 feet deep. A 17 stage turbine pump, 1.5 MGD was furnished. The well supplied the elevated Avondale District, with the surplus water entering the distribution system. There were objections to the taste and odor due to hydrogen sulfide content.

1928 to 1929

There was an expansive of the distribution facilities north of the City in the Edgefield and surrounding districts. This was constructed as a county sanitary project and connected to the distribution system.

1930

A 38.58 acre tract of land was purchased north of 12th St extension. This was known as the Sippo Field.

1931 and 1933

The Northeast Field pumping equipment was replaced by turbine pumps.

1935

A large diameter gravel packed well was constructed in the Northeast Field. The well had an internal diameter of 28 inches, and was 175 feet deep, being equipped with a turbine pump with a capacity of 2,000,000 gallons per day.

1936

A new Water Department Shop building is built at 3rd St and Madison St SE. This is used to house the Department’s vehicles and the meter repair shop.

1937

A second large diameter well was constructed in the Northeast Field. This well had an internal diameter of 30 inches and is 163 feet deep, with a turbine pump having a capacity of 6,000,000 gallons per day.

A new water commission was appointed.

1938

A 42 acre tract of land immediately north of the Dan Smith farm was purchased. A third large diameter well was constructed on this tract.

The Elgin Ave Pumping Station was demolished in the spring.

The pump on the first large diameter well in the Northeast Field was replaced with a 5,000,000 gallon per day pump.

Studies were made relative to aeration and treatment of the Avondale district well. This well was abandoned. Two booster pumps were installed in the original pump building which takes suction from the distribution system and increases the pressure for the Avondale District. Any excess water enters the City distribution system through the Broad Ave, NW main.

1939

In March, a report and recommendations were submitted to the Service Director. The chief new recommendation was the impounding of the Middlebranch stream with a dam and creating a reservoir, to provide a source of surface water. Estimated to supply 15,000,000 gallons per day, and take care of demands for 50 years. Other recommendations include the expansion of the facilities in the Northeast Field, installation of softening plants at the NE and NW fields and abandoning the SW field, and improvements of the distribution system, with a total estimated cost of $2,457,341.

1941

An alternative project for a reservoir on the Sandy Creek was recommended. The project was estimated at $2,985,000, which was $715,000 less than the revised estimate for the Middlebranch reservoir. Water rates raised for 3 months on the expectation that the Sandy Creek project would be carried through. The plan was killed by City Council, by refusing to approve hiring the construction engineers or obtaining the rights of way.

A 30 inch gravel wall well was drilled and equipped in the Grovemiller Allotment. It was 170 feet deep and was pumping 5,000,000 gallons per day.

1944

A test well was drilled north of the Arboretum well, revealed an underground water pit, capable of an estimated 15,000,000 gallons per day. The city acquired a 40.7 acre tract of land.

1945 to 1946

A pumping test was conducted in the Sippo Field in cooperation with the United States Geological Survey, which lasted an entire year.

1947

The city purchased 40 acres of land northwest of the city, and developed an infiltration system using the Ranney method. Three reinforced concrete caissons, 13 feet in diameter and three feet thick, were sunk into this field. Two served as collector wells which feed the lower reservoir, and the third is equipped with pumps for withdrawing water.

1948

The construction was completed on the Northwest collectors and the supply was first delivered to the distribution system.

1949

Another 30 inch gravel wall well eas constructed to a depth of 184 feet in the Northwest Field.

On July 5, a record draw of 25,000,000 gallons was made in one day, 9,000,000 gallons above the average daily consumption.

Offices were moved from City Hall to the Mellett Building.

1950

Talk of a water softening plant brought objections and an announcement from Superintendent Al Ransom that Canton had not yet solved it’s long range water supply problem. A softening plant was expensive, and with three sources, would require three softening plants.

1952

In February, fluoridation of the city water supply began.

1953

Hot and dry weather, and extraordinary demands in the summer, necessitated bans on sprinkling.

Daily pumpage reached a new high of 19,500,000 gallons.

1954

$25,000 was appropriated for further prospecting for underground water sources in the Sandy Valley and Sugar Creek regions and for a complete study of Canton’s long range needs.

1955

An aeration plant was recommended to be installed in the Northwest Field to remove the iron which caused an odor of hydrogen sulfide.

1956

Engineer’s tests in the Sugar Creek near Beach City discovered large underground sources with a flow of 20,000,000 gallons a day, of fine tasting water.

1956 and 1957

Engineers submitted a 112 page report of their 2 year study to the Service Director. There were five point recommendations: 1. Undertake development of underground water source in the Sugar Creek Valley, 2. Additions to the existing distribution system for the ties to the Sugar Creek force main and for service growth and fire protection, 3. Construction of an aeration-iron removal plant at the Northwest water field, 4. Modifications to the iron removal plant at the 9th St SW pumping station, 5. The program totaling $7,650,000 be instituted simultaneously and the total cost be financed from the sale of revenue bonds. This financing would require a 75% boost in water rates.

Mayor Carl F. Wise re-established a five member water commission.

The engineer’s report was presented to City Council. The report was adopted.

1958

Construction started on the Northwest Supply and Filtration Plant.

Four hundred and seventy-five acres of land were purchased along the Sugar Creek in Tuscarawas County.

A design contract was awarded for the Sugar Creek Supply and Filtration Plant.

1959

The new Northwest Supply and Filtration Plant was placed in operation.

The Grovemiller pumping station was taken out of service.

1960

Contracts were awarded and construction began on the Sugar Creek Supply and Filtration Plant.

1962

The new Sugar Creek Supply and Filtration Plant was placed in operation April 28.

The 9th St SW pumping plant was taken out of service April 28. In operation since 1902, the plant was demolished.

1964

The new Canton City Hall is built, and the administration offices of the water department move back to City Hall.

1967

The new Northeast Supply and Filtration Plant and General Offices were placed in operation. The offices were moved from City Hall to the new offices at this facility.

The old Northeast pumping plant built circa 1921 was demolished.

1969

The Village of East Canton was connected to the City water distribution system. This connection is supplied through a master meter.

1970

A new Water Department Shop building is built behind the new Northeast Filtration Plant. This is used to house the Department’s vehicles and the meter repair shop. This allows all of the Department’s assets to be in one area.

1981

The 53rd St SW (South Hill) Reservoir is constructed, consisting of two 5,000,000 gallon underground storage tanks. This reservoir is connected to the distribution system with 36 inch and 30 inch concrete water main.

1996 to 1997

A new booster station, with 3 pumps at 1,500 gpm, is constructed at the Northwest Filtration Plant.

The Brentwood Tower, an above ground 1,500,000 gallon storage tower is constructed and placed on line. It is connected to the new booster station and the existing distribution system with 20 inch and 24 inch concrete mains.

Old Avondale booster station is demolished and replaced by the new booster at the Northeast Plant.

1998

The Sugar Creek Filtration Plant is expanded and upgraded. This included the addition of 4 new filters and the modernization of the controls and the wells.

1999

Beach City is connected to the City water distribution system with 16 inch and 12 inch water main, and the service is billed by a master meter.

2006

System wide upgrades including a new SCADA control system.

2007

Orchard View booster station is constructed and placed in service. This booster station serves the newly annexed Quarry Golf Course Development.

2009 to 2010

The Northwest Filtration Plant is renovated, and updated with new equipment and controls. The Aeration building is demolished.

2010 to 2011

The Northeast Filtration Plant and General Office Building is renovated and upgraded with new equipment, controls and wells.

Home > City Services > Water > CWD History Time Line