Veterans Home Repair
The amount of labor and materials for any one household may not exceed a maximum amount of $8,000. The Homeowner may only apply for this type of assistance once in a lifetime. This program is a 3-year lien deferred loan, that declines at 30% each year.
The Applicant(s) must own and occupy the unit in which the rehabilitation condition exists. Ownership will be verified through the Stark County Auditor. The Application must be signed by all Owners on recorded deed.
Eligible repairs may include home modifications that accommodate limitations due to disabilities, such as:
- Repair/replacement of porches and steps.
- Repair/replacement of doors.
- Installation of ramps.
- Installation of necessary railings and grab bars.
- Installation of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, where needed.
- Must be a homeowner within the City of Canton corporation limits.
- Applicant must reside in and have owned the home for at least one year prior to application.
- Land Contract and mobile homes are not eligible
- Must be current with home mortgage (Mortgage modifications are not qualified).
- Applicant must have homeowner’s insurance.
- Applicant must be current in the payment of City Income Tax, County Real Estate tax, City of Canton utilities, and Federal, State or City of Canton funded loan programs.
- Title search is required
- Previous assistance, other than emergency, will disqualify an applicant.
- Applicant cannot have more than $7,500 in short term assets such as cash, savings, and checking.
- Household income cannot exceed 80% area median income, as per the HUD Part 5 definition of Income.