Employee Work Rules
City of Canton
Employee Work Rules
Violation of any one of the following rules shall be considered as Gross Misconduct and constitutes grounds for disciplinary action resulting in dismissal
- Falsification of any reports, report-offs pertaining to absence from work, claims pertaining to injuries occurring on City premises, claims for any benefits provided by the City, communications or records including personnel and work records.
- Restricting output, or persuading others to do so, or promoting, encouraging, agitating, tormenting, engaging in or supporting suspension of work, slowdowns, or any other interruptions of work in breach of contract.
- Insubordination or refusal or failure to work or to obey and carry out orders of supervision, in connection with an employee's work.
- Sabotage, or subversive activity of any kind.
- Misuse or removal from the premises or work area, without proper authorization, of any City property, or possession of any property removed from City premises or work area without proper authorization.
- Bringing, using or having in possession weapons on City premises at any time; bringing, using, having in possession, transporting, selling or promoting the use of alcohol, any intoxicant, any narcotic, any barbiturate, any amphetamine, any hallucinogen, or any other stimulating or depressing drug on City premises at any time.
- Striking or manhandling another person or fighting while on the City's premises or work area at any time.
- Striking a supervisor at any time in connection with any matter relating to employment.
- Theft of any property on City premises or work area, or theft of City property at any time.
- Willful abuse, or deliberate destruction of City property, tools or equipment or of any property on City premises or work area at any time.
Violation of any one of the following rules shall be considered as Gross Misconduct and constitute grounds for Disciplinary Action ranging from suspension to dismissal
- Entering the work place under the influence of alcohol, any intoxicant, any narcotic, any barbiturate, any amphetamine, any hallucinogen, or any other stimulating or depressing drug.
- Threatening, intimidating, coercing or interfering with any person, on or off City premises at any time.
- Sleeping on City time.
- Intentionally ringing the time card of another, or having another ring your time card.
Violation of any one of the following rules shall subject an employee to Disciplinary Action ranging from a verbal warning up to and including dismissal
- Improper performance of job.
- Careless or negligent use or operation of City tools or equipment.
- Violation of, or disregard of, safety rules or safety practices; carelessness, endangering the life or safety of another person.
- Failure to immediately report injury or accident to your supervisor.
- Repeated violation of rules of conduct or safety rules.
- Smoking in prohibited areas.
- Creating or contributing to unsanitary or unclean conditions.
- Loafing on job and/or unwarranted failure to report on job or to stay on job assignment during working hours.
- Walking off the job without proper authorization of supervision, other than to report for first aid medical treatment.
- Leaving your assignment before the end of a scheduled shift, or visiting departments other than the one in which you are assigned to work without proper authorization of supervisor, other than to report for first aid medical treatment.
- Entering the work place or City properties at any time other than to report for work, without authorization; or leaving the plant after entering on regularly scheduled shift without proper authorization.
- Failure to report to work as scheduled.
- Failure to report off properly before start of scheduled shift; failure to report when you will return after an absence, when required.
- Use of abusive, profane or improper language to fellow employees or supervisors.
- The making of false, vicious or malicious statements concerning any employee, the City or its services.
- Refusal to explain reason for absence from work.
- Repeated tardiness.
- Permitting another to use your Identification Badge or using another's Identification Badge.
- Unauthorized use of City telephone and other equipment/tools for personal affairs or conducting personal business on City time and/or premises, which includes the use of personal communication devices while on City time.
- Soliciting for any purpose, or collecting money for any purpose whatsoever on City time, unless authorized in writing by the Service and/or Safety Director.
- Gambling, lottery or any other game of chance on City premises at any time, or the possession of devices for the purpose of gambling.
- Posting or removal of notices, signs or writing in any form on any bulletin board on City property, at any time, without the specific approval of management.
- Repeated failure to use the City's timekeeping system as required.
Section 4. Voluntary Resignation
- Failure to report off for five consecutive work days shall be considered as a voluntary resignation, unless the employee can verify that conditions made it impossible for him to report off during this period and/or a reasonable excuse for failure to call off is given.