Architectural Review Board
- 2:30 pm
- 2nd Tuesday of every month
- 218 Cleveland Ave SW, 6th Floor Conference Room
- Todd Herberghs, Executive Director of Downtown Canton SID
Term does not expire
- Georgia Paxos
Term Expires December 31, 2024
- Steve Coon
Term Expires December 31, 2025
- David Beck
Term Expires December 31, 2023
- Cathy Wyatt
Term Expires December 31, 2022
Four members are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by Council upon recommendation by the Downtown Canton Special Improvement District, Inc. The fifth member is the president of the Downtown Canton Special Improvement District, Inc.
The Architectural Review Board is designed to enhance and further the following goals:
- To preserve, protect and enhance historically, culturally, and architecturally significant sites and structures located within the downtown area of the City which impart a distinct aspect to the City and serve as visible reminders of the City's cultural, architectural, and economic heritage.
- To promote the economic prosperity and welfare of the community by conserving the value of buildings and property within the downtown area, and to thereby generally stabilize and enhance long-term property values throughout the downtown area.
- To strengthen civic pride throughout the City by the conservation of elements of the City's cultural, social, economic, political and architectural heritage.
- To provide a review process for the appropriate preservation and development of important architectural resources of the downtown area; and to provide procedures whereby architecturally significant sites and structures having importance to the community shall be safeguarded and which shall ensure adequate evaluation and consideration of all available alternatives by public review of proposed alterations or demolitions before such alterations or demolitions are performed.
- To ensure the harmonious, orderly and efficient growth and development of the downtown area.
The Board reviews applications for Certificates of Appropriateness and takes final action relating to the construction, erection, alteration, removal, moving, or demolition of any building or structure in the downtown area. The final action relates to the application's compliance with all applicable architectural and design guidelines and requirements. Periodically, the Board shall review the architectural design standards in light of circumstances then existing and may recommend to Council amendments or updates.
The five members of the Board must consist of:
- One president of the Downtown Canton Special Improvement District, Inc.
- One architect or engineer
- One developer
- Two downtown area property owner/business owners
Two or more members of the Board must be residents of the City. Members not residents of the city must be employed or have their principal place of business within the City.
Members serve without compensation.
City Ordinance 1107.01-.10