The five members of the board must consist of:
- Two - Registered architect or engineer
- One - Contractor licensed by the City
- Two - Representative of the public at large
Members must be residents of the City or be employed or have their principal place of business within the City. All members must be conversant with light construction industry.
Members are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by Council.
In order to carry out the intent and purpose of the City Building
Code, the Board shall:
- Hear appeals filed by any person, partnership, corporation or other unincorporated association adversely affected by a decision in the enforcement of the City Building Code. The Board may require by resolution that the Chief Building Official modify, reverse, or enforce his decision.
- Make recommendations to the Mayor for amendments to the City Building Code as the public health, safety and welfare may require.
- Determine on application to the Board, whether any new type of material, method of construction or equipment is equal to that required by the City Building Code.
- Advise and consult with the Director of Public Safety and the Chief Building Official concerning practices in the home improvement industry.
- Make recommendations to the Mayor and Council concerning the administration and operation home improvement contract laws and any amendments to these laws it might deem necessary or advisable.
- Undertake activities to encourage high standards of honesty, fair business practices and public responsibility in the home improvement business.
Members serve without compensation.
City Ordinance 1305.01-.05, 1311.10-.11 City Ordinance. 46/2021