Engineering (Paving Program)
City of Canton Roadway Resurfacing Information
The City of Canton is spending approximately $4.7 million in road resurfacing projects in 2020. The allocation of additional funds to our resurfacing program in recent years was made possible by the passage of Issue 13 (.5% income tax increase) which went into effect July 1, 2018. We are spending $2,935,000 in Issue 13 funds on the 2020 resurfacing program: $500,000 from Issue 13 Capital funds, $1,250,000 from Issue 13 Neighborhood funds and $1,185,000 from Issue 13 Comprehensive Plan funds.
Please utilize the following link to view an updated version of this year’s paving list ~ City of Canton 2020 Paving List (PDF)
We are very pleased to be able to commit this amount of funding to our 2020 Paving/Capital repair program. We are committed to spending Issue 13 funds (in the percentages and categories authorized by the ballot language) to roads and infrastructure, as promised, as well as dedicating other capital funds for these purposes. We have in place a 5 year plan for identifying and fixing roads and for objectively measuring our progress. We all feel that we are making progress. When you look at the amount of spending in 2009 to 2015, you can see how far behind we fell by any objective standard. We know that there is a long way to go to improve our roads to the condition that everyone in Canton wants and deserves. We will maintain this course.
2020 City Paving Program
- This project involves milling and resurfacing numerous streets located throughout the City. Work began in May and is expected to finish by the end of September. The cost of this work is $2,780,000 and is paid for by City of Canton funds.
Cherry Avenue NE/SE Resurfacing
- This project involves milling and resurfacing Cherry Ave. SE/NE from the Cherry Ave. SE Bridge over the railroad to Tuscarawas St. E. and then from Tuscarawas St. E. to Market Ave. N. Work is in progress and is scheduled to be complete by the end of June. The cost of this work is estimated to be $955,000 and will be paid for by City, County, State, and Federal funds.
Harmont Avenue Resurfacing
- This project involves milling and resurfacing Harmont Ave. NE from Mahoning Ave. to US 62. Work is scheduled for August and September. The cost of this work is estimated to be $585,000 and will be paid for by City and State funds.
Tuscarawas St. E Resurfacing
- This project involves milling and resurfacing Tuscarawas St. E from Cherry Ave. to Riverside Dr. Work is in progress and is scheduled to be complete by the end of June. The cost of this work is estimated to be $353,000 and will be paid for by City, County, State, and Federal funds.
2020 Crack Seal Program
- This project involves applying crack sealer to numerous streets located throughout the City. The goal is to prevent water from infiltrating into the pavement. The project is complete and was performed in May and June. The cost of this work was $93,000 and was paid for by City of Canton funds.
2020 Chip and Seal Program
- This project involves Washington Blvd. NE from Culver Avenue NW to Cleveland Ave. NW. The street be milled and then a Chip Seal will applied followed by a Fog Seal. This work is intended as a temporary measure to allow the waterline to be replaced before the pavement is permanently resurfaced with hot mix asphalt. The cost is $46,000 will be paid for with City funds.
- Can this list change?
- How are roads selected?
- I know of a road that I believe is worse than roads on the resurfacing list. Why would this happen?
- Are these the only roads within the City of Canton that will be repaired this construction season?
- If I have questions regarding the City of Canton Paving Program who do I contact?