Select language: zh-CNesdefrja


NEW! Find your Permit Online

Building Department

The City of Canton enforces the most current edition of the 2019 Residential Code of Ohio (RCO) and the 2017 Ohio Building Code (OBC), as adopted by the Ohio Board of Building Standards. 

Building permits are required for "the construction, erection, or alteration of a building, or any addition thereto, or the equipment and maintenance thereof" and "when required by the Ohio Building Code, plans shall be prepared in conformity with the Ohio Administrative Code". (Chapter 1303 of the Canton Codified Ordinances).

Briefly, but NOT all inclusive, building permits are needed for new and remodeling structural improvements of all commercial and residential--homes, additions, garages, sheds, storage buildings, swimming pools, roofs, decks, siding, fences, signs, etc. before the commencement of work. Fees are required. Zoning permits may apply. If zoning permits apply, a zoning permit must be obtained before a building permit can be issued.

Home Improvement contractors performing any kind of remodeling work on 1-, 2- and 3-family homes must be licensed with the City of Canton Building Department. Salesmen selling remodeling work must also be licensed. Home improvement contractors are not licensed to do plumbing, electric, or HVAC work. Separate licensing is maintained for plumbing, electric and HVAC. 

General Trades Contractors performing any kind of remodeling, addition, or new construction work on 4+ unit apartment buildings or any commercial buildings must be licensed with the City of Canton Building Department.  General Trades Contractors are not licensed to do plumbing, electric, or HVAC work.

The Building Department is also responsible for inspecting and administering commercial fire suppression permits, fire alarm permits, standpipe systems permits, and all demolition permits and licensing demolition contractors (State of Ohio licenses fire suppression contractors).

Information on the fees and specifics on getting building, fire and demolition permits, inspections and becoming a licensed home improvement contractor/salesman or demolition contractor can be obtained by contacting us via telephone at 330-430-7800.

The basics to get any permit, you must have with you:

  1. The correct address where the work is being done.
  2. The contractor's name, address, telephone.
  3. The owner's name, address, telephone.
  4. Know the work you will be performing and the contract value.
  5. Any sketches/drawings needed of the work performed to include the square footage of the project.
  6. The fee for the permit.
  7. If you are not the bonafide homeowner living on the premises, you must be a licensed contractor.
  8. If you are a commercial contractor doing commercial work, plans must first be approved before a permit can be obtained.
  9. A zoning permit already obtained if it applies to the work being performed.
Home > Public Safety > Building/Code > Building Department