Select language: zh-CNesdefrja

Rental Property FAQ

Q. If I am a tenant, and repairs are needed in my apartment, do I still have to pay my rent?

A. Yes! But if needed repairs are not done, you do not have to pay it to the landlord. You can deposit your rent money into an escrow account at the Clerk of Courts. Call the Clerk of Courts at (330) 489-3204 for additional information.

Q. What do I do if my landlord evicts me?
A. Our department does not handle evictions. You can contact the Stark County Legal Aid Society at (330) 456-8361 for advice.

Q. Where can you get help with landlord/tenant disputes?
A. Our department does not handle landlord/tenant disputes. You can contact the City of Canton's Fair Housing Assistance Program at (330) 438-4133 for information.

Q. I recently purchased a property in the City and it is going to be rented. What do I have to do and what steps do I need to take?
A. All non-owner occupied residential properties shall be registered yearly before March 1 or within 30 days of obtaining ownership. The yearly registration fee is $80 per unit. An interior inspection will be required for properties that have not been previously registered. An inspection fee of $100 is required.

Q. Where can you get financial help or grants to fix up your non-owner occupied property?
A. Call Community Development at (330) 489-3040 for information about financial help and grants.

Q. How do I cancel/reschedule an inspection date and time?
A. Please call (330) 430-7800 at least 24 hours in advance to reschedule an appointment. When calling, please indicate the address in which you are referring, when it would be more convenient, and if the property is up for demolition. Another appointment will be scheduled to better accommodate you the owner and the tenant. Only the owner of the property can do this--not the tenant.

Q. How can I find out if my apartment is under a demolition order?
A. If you are calling to find out if the property is under demolition, please call (330) 430-7800, provide the address and the owner's name to the staff member and he or she will let you know the status. Any further information would have to be addressed to the Code Supervisor.

Q. I have questions or do not understand some of the repairs listed from my inspection report. Who can I call?
A. You must always talk to the inspector that made the inspection listed on your report for any questions on your repair list or other questions about your property. The inspector that was there knows first hand what he/she saw. The inspectors are only in from 8 - 8:45 a.m. and 3:30 to 4:15 p.m. at (330) 430-7800. You can also call anytime from 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. to leave a message on their voice mail to have them return your call.

Q. What are the code requirements for a 3rd Floor Apartment?
A. Required emergency escape openings shall be maintained in accordance with the code in effect at the time of construction.

Home > Public Safety > Building/Code > Rental Property FAQ