Select language: zh-CNesdefrja

Sanitation - Rules

  • Customers must use trash cans that are no larger than 32 gallons. If customers have larger cans that they wish to store full bags in, they may do so, as long as the customer removes the bags from the oversized cans and places the bags curbside before pick-up. CANS LARGER THAN 32 GALLONS WILL NOT BE EMPTIED.
  • Customers must use trash containers with handles and lids that are not hinged or attached.
  • Customers may use bags instead of containers (however - if animals get into the bags, it is the resident's responsibility to clean up).
  • Customers should make sure that their trash is curbside by 6:00 AM on their scheduled pick-up day. Sanitation employees start work at 6:00 AM.
  • Trash should not be set out at the curb before 12:00 PM the day before scheduled pick-up.
  • Grass clippings, leaves and twigs should be bagged and placed separately from standard garbage at the curb. Bags should be manageable and not exceed 32 gallons for grass and 45 gallons for leaves.
  • Branches and other small brush should be bundled/tied in manageable piles with a maximum of 4 feet in length.
  • Live Christmas trees may be placed at the curb for disposal on normal trash day.
  • Carpet and rugs must be bundled/tied securely with a maximum of 4 feet in length.
  • Customers are permitted to set out two (2) large items per week (i.e. furniture) for pick-up with the normal household trash.  If there are more than two (2) items of bulky waste, a dumpster is required.
  • Mattresses, Box Springs and Upholstered Furniture:  All mattresses, box springs and upholstered furniture must be wrapped in plastic and securely sealed prior to pick up. Furniture with exposed bed bugs will Not be picked up by the Sanitation Department.
  • Animal waste must be double bagged securely and manageable in order to be picked up. It can be placed with the normal household trash. Sanitation will not collect animal waste if it is not properly packaged or if the amount is excessive. Persons violating this policy will be reported to the Canton City Health Department. Further inquiries about animal waste can be made by contacting the Canton Health Department at 330-489-3231.


Trash Service - Prohibited Items

  • Construction Material: The Sanitation Department does not collect or haul construction materials during normal pick-up. 
    Not all materials are acceptedThis includes:  asphalt, concrete, bricks, roofing material, tree stumps, logs, railroad ties, auto parts, ashes, rocks, dirt, paint, or other hazardous liquids of any kind.  If you have a question, please call!

  • Auto Tires:  Tires will not be picked up, but can be dropped off free of charge at the City of Canton Recycling Drop-Off facility located at 742 Schroyer Ave SW, Canton, OH 44707. To contact the drop-off center, call 330-430-7869.

Trash Service - Vacant Structures

The Sanitation Department does not maintain regular pick-up at vacant homes. The Sanitation Department has found that regular pick-up at vacant properties results in illegal dumping (persons fraudulently depositing trash in front of the structure).  If the period between the final clean-out and pre-move-in pick-up is greater than two (2) months, the property owner may apply for a waiver of their sanitation charge for that period.

It is the responsibility of any property owner in the City to ensure that upon eviction or other voluntary or involuntary change of possession, any personal property or solid waste, moved outside shall be containerized. If any questions, pleaser reference City Ordinance 975.07 (d).


Hazards associated with improper disposal of waste:

It may be tempting to get rid of unwanted wastes such as oil, paint or any other waste by dumping them into a storm drainage system.  But the improper disposal of waste can be hazardous to the environment and pollute our local water bodies. Such wastes that enter a city storm drainage system are considered "illicit discharges", are illegal, and are subject to enforcements, or other legal actions. If you are unsure of how to properly dispose of waste, please contact the Sanitation Department at 330-489-3020.


Frequently asked questions:

How do I dispose of used motor oil or anti freeze?  Used motor oil and antifreeze can be taken to the City of Canton Recycle Center.  NEVER dump oil or antifreeze down storm drains!

How do I dispose of household hazardous waste?  Hazardous household waste may be taken to the City of Canton Recycle Center.  NEVER dump them into a creek or storm drain.

Acceptable waste includes:  flammable liquids, aerosols, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, oil base paint, corrosive liquids. Automotive fluids, pool chemicals, items that contain mercury or florescent bulbs.

Unacceptable waste includes:  latex paint, explosives, smoke detectors, DEA regulated material and bio-medical waste.

How do I properly dispose of pet waste?  Pick-up after your pet and dispose of their waste in the toilet or trash.  Don't rinse or dispose of the pet waste into a storm drain.

How do I dispose of leaves and grass clippings?  There are a couple of options when disposing of leaves and/or grass clippings.  First consider composting them.  If this is not something that you are interested in doing, you can bag the leaves and/or grass clippings and place it at the curb on your normal trash day. The bags need to be manageable and properly bagged.  NEVER dump them into a creek or storm drains to get rid of them!